What Is the Custom Home Building Process?
So, your dream home doesn’t fit into the cookie cutter mold available at the various production builders in Northern Virginia—what are you supposed to do? The solution is to start the custom home building process with Sekas Homes.
As an award-winning premier home builder in Northern Virginia, we have the standard for custom, luxury construction. Here’s a look at what the custom home building process entails.
- Decide where to build: Once you know a custom house from Sekas Homes is right for you, it’s time to decide whether to build on your own lot or in one of our communities. Whichever you choose, we’re beside you the whole way.
- Schedule a consultation: During your consultation, one of our design members can help you choose the type of home you want to build, and you can discuss your priorities. You can work off an existing floor plan and customize just a few features or present us with a completely custom design. Some of our most popular custom requests include custom carpeting, detailing, windows, ADA features, ground-floor master bedroom, media rooms, pools, radiant floor heating, fireplaces, sound proofing features, and wine cellars. We can accommodate nearly any custom feature you request, even if it’s not on this list.
- Determine needs vs. wants: Your imagination is the limit when it comes to selecting the custom features you want, but finances and time constraints are considerations you can’t neglect. Put your custom requests in two categories so you know where to draw the line if budget or time limitations come into play during construction.
- Understand what goes into green building construction: All Sekas Homes are ENERGY STAR qualified, which means they are more energy-efficient than traditional homes. Green building practices are good for the homeowner because they help reduce utility costs, ensure home comfort, and increase property value. Plus, ENERGY STAR qualified homes are good for the environment because they consume fewer natural resources and have lower carbon emissions. Ask about our solar options to increase energy efficiency even more.
- Go through the construction process: We stay in close contact with you during construction to ensure all your needs are met. You are not left in the dark on anything. Reasonable change orders are considered throughout the construction phase, though the fewer changes that occur, the faster and potentially less expensive the building process will be.
- Prepare to move in: We clean up everything from the construction process and install the final fixtures to make your new home move-in ready. A final walkthrough ensures everything is completed to a high standard. We explain everything you need to know about maintaining your custom home for peak comfort and efficiency, such as scheduling yearly maintenance for your heating and cooling system.
- Close on the house: At closing we provide all the information you need, including manuals and warranty information for home appliances and the contact information for all the subcontractors who worked on your home.
- Move in: Finally, we give you the keys to your beautiful new custom home! We’re always here to answer any questions you have down the road, so don’t hesitate to keep in touch.
To get started on your custom home, give us a call at 703-594-7449 or contact us online.
Posted August 21, 2014